Flooring Pros at Floormasters.com
SERVING WOOD FLOORING PROFESSIONALS ONLINE SINCE 1997

Shop Talk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:27 pm 

I had an opportunity to go back to a job I did like 6 months ago. The floor was natural red oak with 1 coat of emulsion, and 2 coats of satin zenith. Well the customer wanted a high gloss now instead, so I decided on a coat of supreme on top- gloss of course.
Once I started buffing, I couldn't believe how hard the 6 month old zenith was. I couldn't even rough up the finish at all. I ended up using 100 grit screen on a square buff, but after heavy abrading, you couldn't hardly even see the abrasion marks.
So I thought I would share this, poloplaz just makes a rock hard finish. Great job bill.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:27 pm 

What did you try to abrade with that did ot work ? I have not seen anything that dod ot abrade using 150 grit 3m tape on a maroon pad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:01 pm 

Cole,
I started out using a standard 150 grit screen. Used briefly on one side. Again, it was only on a square buff, but that's how I do re-coats, and always get finishes to powder. The zenith is like buffing concrete. What I'm saying is, it's simply the nicest product I've ever used and it has stepped up my overall look considerably. Lately, due to azeridine allergies, I have used only oil based poly. And I simply am amazed how awesome primero and supreme are. They roll so nice, I finished a 4,000 sq foot 3 story house today. And all I can say is, "rolling poloplaz oil, is almost relaxing". I feel like nothing will ever look better than the system I'm using now. 1 coat quick dry sealer. Then 2 coats of supreme or primero. Depending on the situation. And then knowing that BILL is there to take care of any issue that would ever arise, is a very good feeling.
I think back to a few years ago, struggling to lay out a perfect coat of streetshoe. And it gives me a headache. Rolling poloplaz is the easiest thing ever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:40 pm 

What are the re-coat times for the poloplaz product? Never used them, just curious. I like to keep versed on various finishes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:02 pm 

Wagner:

What do you mean "re-coat times?"

I always say . . . "Poloplaz makes me look good!"

Thanks.

Charlie in Arizona

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:31 pm 

re-coat times important...but most important for me is the window in which you don't have to abrade...Bonas 48 hour window works for me and the dry times are good to....The fastest i've ever been back on a floor was last week when I coated me office with nano shield finish..in 2 hrs I was back on the floor installing base boards before I moved the furniture back in....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:11 pm 

I long did you wait between coats for Poloplaz quick dry sealer? And then, their WB finish?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:18 am 

I always wait A day between quick dry sealer and WB topcoat, however I hot coat quick dry and supreme all the time. Usually wait 3-4 hours, fans, heat, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:26 pm 

PoloPlaz hot coat window is maximum 24 hours at 70 degree F. and 40% humidity. This is for both oil or water. The fast dry sanding sealer is 12 hours maximum. We like overnight dry for fast dry sanding sealer oil base when applying water over top. Thank you for the kind comments.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:00 am 

Bill, would you suggest using the fast drying sealer on minwax stains? or straight poly and no sealer. trying to find the best way to avoid wls....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:50 pm 

I think either is fine. The advantage of the PoloPlaz fast dry sanding sealer is you can recoat with oil in 3 to 4 hours. Stain the first day, day 2 fast dry sanding sealer, and Supreme or Primero 3 to 4 hours later, and job complete in 2 days.

Or

You can use Charlie's system, day one stain , day 2 fast dry sanding sealer, three hours later hot coat fast dry sanding sealer, day 3 a coat of Primero and you are done in 3 days.

WLS

We try to design all of our products to break cleanly along the board edge when stretched. You could have a discussion about the fast dry sanding sealer and Primero being harder products, may break sooner and cleaner. What you do not want is a finish that stretches with board shrinkage, then when the board expands the finish compresses like a white garbage bag.
What products have you had WLS with? You can call me privately if you wish 800-421-7319