Flooring Pros at Floormasters.com
SERVING WOOD FLOORING PROFESSIONALS ONLINE SINCE 1997

Shop Talk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:59 pm 

Any one know if you can install a bona powerdrive 1.5 on a ceno buffer?

Thanks Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:22 pm 

Also if not, anyone know what the flex sand and bona drive go for?

Thanks Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:10 pm 

One of my local distributors sells the new Bona buffer for $2283 and the Flex Sand 6 disk drive plate for $639

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:19 am 

The comperable peice to the ceno buffer is the satellite. Ceno says that the little discs turn at 600 rpm. After looking at the pattern the satellite appears to be a long curve in certain areas, indicating that the small disks were not turning at all but dragging. After mixed results I parked mine and went back to the UFO. I shouldn't be seeing raised scars or scratches at 100 grit.

Now the Bona powerdrive seems to have a mechanical system with gears. That is interesting. The smaller discs would be forced to turn by gears. And at 700 bucks, not a bad price for a tool that might (I said might) make my buffer preform like a trio.

Any reviews on this add-on?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:28 pm 

Well that is what I was thinking. I use a ufo and love it, but always wanted a trio, I saw the power drive and thought that might work. Well it seams the power drive only will work with the flexisand buffer, the big ring gear is screwed into the bottom of the buffer. It also seams the power drive is only available in the UK, for now any way. What to do, what to do.......

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:29 pm 

The trio's are expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:38 pm 

I looked at the power drive and it appears to have the same configuration as any buffer. You may need to add a spacer like I did for my clarke when I purchased the diamabrush.

I would definitely buy this puppy for 600 bucks but it is looking like this system will sell in around 4 grand. that is a few dineros.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:42 pm 

I know of a guy who is running one on a clarke dc16 buffer, he had to get a spacer for his to work as well. I believe they have a generic pattern just like most buffer blocks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:06 pm 

We like ours, have two and they do work on the Clarke buffers as Kevin mentioned.
They do the job of a Trio but are slower because of the weight difference.

Ralph

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:13 am 

Hello Guys

I'm rather late to this discussion i know, but having had considerable experience with the new Bona Flexidrive system i may be able to shed some light on things for you.

I have the privilege of being asked to test the prototype flexisand for Bona here in the UK for 3 weeks in Nov/Dec 2012, and am now a very proud owner of one of these babies, I really don't know what a Ceno buffer is, but the Flexisand Power Drive plate is designed specifically for the geared drive of the new flexisand buffer, so it's extremely unlikely that it will properly fit any other machine.

I may be slightly biased as i tested the Flexisand and now own one, but for getting sanding marks out of wooden floors this machine is absolutely superb, as its a geared drive plate, with each rotation of the plate the abrasives are forced to move and abrade the wooden surface, whereas the Trio for example isn't geared, the 3 drive heads on the bottom of the Trio obviously spins, and the heads turn and abrade the floor, but as they are not geared they don't have the same contact/force with the floor surface that the flexisand does.

I used a Trio for 4 years when i worked for another company so i know how good it is [the trio] and was considering buying one before i was asked by Bona to do the product testing for them, but as one of the guys on here commented the Trio is a quite expensive piece of kit, and here in the UK Bona sell the Flexisand Power Drive 1.5 package for around the £2.5k mark, whereas the Trio is around £4.5k including vat.

With the Power Drive geared plate on the Flexisand it genuinely does deliver stunningly smooth results on a wooden floor surface, don't get me wrong the Trio does as well, but when you take into account the Flexisand is 45kgs [100lbs] in weight, compared with the Trio being around the 80kg [176lbs] mark then Bona have done something pretty special with the Flexisand and the geared drive plate.

If anyone is interested i did a comprehensive review of the machine which can be viewed at
http://www.woodfloor-renovations.co.uk/ ... review.htm

Reserve judgement and any comments about me being biased etc until you have used one of these beauties as the quality the machine puts into any wooden floor needs to be seen to be fully appreciated.

Regards Gary

Woodfloor-Renovations

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:02 pm 

Great post and a good review on a what looks to be a winner.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:23 pm 

I don't have experience with the flex sand.....but the trio gets the job done fast and efficient. buffers are slow due to the lack of wieght.....to each his own..I do hate carrying the trio even when it's broke apart....

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:07 am 

Crowsflooring wrote:
> I don't have experience with the flex sand.....but the trio gets the job done fast
> and efficient. buffers are slow due to the lack of wieght.....to each his own..I
> do hate carrying the trio even when it's broke apart....

I agree with you in the fact that the Trio is indeed heavy and not particularly easy to move, even when broken down, but I can tell you that the Flexisand isn't a slow machine to use when preparing the floor you are working on, in my experience, and i've used both machines, there is nothing between them at all if for example you are preparing a 25m2 [260 sq ft] room, maybe 2 minutes between the machines at best with the floor preparation times, and the Flexisand is a lot easier to get in and out of the workplace as well. [in my opinion]

The main points i'm making here are that the Flexisand Power Drive WILL prepare a wood floor to the same [I personally think better] quality that a Trio will, but its virtually half the weight and here in the UK its nearly half the price of the Trio.

Regards Gary

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:50 pm 

Of coarse the powerdrive is not available in the states yet, I have E-mailed Bona a few times as to when it would be available, I also contacted my Dealer, But to date no answer or possible date. So I got a trio!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:08 pm 

BobQ wrote:
> Of coarse the powerdrive is not available in the states yet, I have E-mailed Bona
> a few times as to when it would be available, I also contacted my Dealer, But to
> date no answer or possible date. So I got a trio!

Hi Bob

I genuinely didn't know the new Flexisand Power Drive wasn't available over there in the States as yet !!

The Trio is a superb floor sanding machine, no question at all and i'm sure will be a quality machine for you, i'm sure the Flexisand will be out over there in the US soon enough.

Regards Gary